Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pesarattu / Moong Dal Dosa

'Dosa' is as known, a very intresting yummy Breakfast dish accompanied with Spicy Sambar and a cup of Coconut chutney. There are yet more varieties in the same category! Among all the varieties of Dosa's.. the top places are occupied by 'Masala Dosa'(Aloe curry stuffed Dosa) and the 'Pesarattu'. When I have started the blog, topping with the Indian dishes, I knew.. few very common and most tempting recipes would definitely be there! This is one among them :)
And yes.., the main ingredient of this recipe is 'Pesalu'(Whole Green Gram/Moong Dal) which is a very healthy food. These days, sprouts, splly. of the Green Gram/Pesalu has become most common salad. Once a while you can attempt this way of consuming it too..! I need not actually talk about the combination for Pesarattu as it is more famous with the combo name "Pesarattu-Upma" :) Siding Upma and the Allam(Ginger) chutney with Pesarattu will make this dish complete. Try it and Taste it.. :)

Ingredients:

2 cups Pesalu/Green Gram/Moong Dal
1/2 cup Rice
1 chopped Onion
4 Green Chillies chopped
1 tbsp Cumin seeds
Salt to taste



Directions:

1. Soak the Pesalu/Green Gram with Rice overnight and bring it to Mixi adding some water in between as needed. It should be a semi-thick batter.
2. Add salt,onion,chillies and hand crushed cumin seeds to the batter. You can also add few coriander leaves if interested . Mix the batter well and keep aside.
3. Heat a dosa pan. Take a ladle full batter and spread it thoroughly on the pan. Sprinkle some oil and fry both the sides until light brown. 

4. Remove dosa from the pan and serve it with hot Upma and Coconut/Ginger Chutney.

Tips:
You can instead add the chopped onion and green chillies along with chopped ginger on top of the Dosa just before removing it from the pan. Sprinkle on top, then some oil and fold the Dosa and remove from pan.

*We welcome your valuable suggestions/comments on this Recipe* I follow the following link for the unit conversions. Hope it will help. The link shows all the unit conversions for cooking http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dear Friend!! So sorry I haven't been visiting as much as I would like ~ life has been getting busy and I have felt the Lord calling me to just sit at His feet more, and at the computer less. But, I am so thankful for your wonderful, kind words ~ they alwaysw warm my heart and I feel the love of Jesus when you share!! Now, this meal looks amazing ~ your blog makes me want to become an Indian cook!! I just saw the link for apple fritters ~ I think I am going to have to check that out next!! Much love ~alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alice..!! Thank you so much and sorry for checking it so late. Our new website indianrecipe4u.com was in the process and please do visit it as our updates would take place there from now on!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome !